The Mind's Machine: Foundations of Brain and Behavior
Biological Psychology NewsLink
This invaluable online resource includes links to thousands of news stories, all organized by both keyword and textbook chapter. The site is updated daily, so it includes up-to-the-minute information, providing instructors with the latest news in the field—great for use in lecture. The site also helps students make connections between the science of biological psychology and their daily lives and keeps them apprised of the latest developments in the field.
For the Student
The Companion Website for The Mind’s Machine contains a wide range of resources to help students master the material presented in the textbook and to engage them in the subject. Key resources are linked throughout the printed text via QR codes (as well as Web addresses), making access to animations and videos easy from any smart phone or tablet. The site includes the following resources:
- Chapter Outlines provide an overview of each chapter.
- Extensive Study Questions help students master the full range of material in each chapter.
- Animations illustrate many of the complex, dynamic concepts and processes of biological psychology.
- Videos present real-world examples of some of the key concepts and conditions discussed in the textbook.
- Activities reinforce knowledge of key structures and processes.
- Online versions of the Visual Summaries include links to all figures and online resources.
- Online Quizzes (multiple-choice and essay questions) test the student’s grasp of the material, with results stored in an online gradebook (instructor registration required).
- Flashcards facilitate effective review of the many new terms introduced in the textbook.
- “A Step Further” offers advanced coverage of selected topics.
- A Glossary provides quick access to definitions of all important terminology.
For the Instructor (Available to Qualified Adopters)
Instructor's Resource Library (ISBN 978-0-87893-878-0)
The Mind’s Machine Instructor's Resource Library includes a variety of resources to aid you in planning your course, developing your lectures, and assessing your students. The IRL includes the following resources:
- Figures and Tables: All of the line-art illustrations, photos, and tables from the textbook are provided as both high-resolution and low-resolution JPEGs, all optimized for use in presentation software (such as PowerPoint).
- PowerPoint Resources: Three different types of PowerPoint presentations are provided for each chapter of the textbook:
- All figures, photos, and tables
- A complete lecture outline, including selected figures
- Animations and videos
- Videos: A collection of video segments for use in lecture.
- Animations: Detailed animations of key concepts help enliven lectures and illustrate dynamic processes.
- Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank in Word format (see below for details).
- Computerized Test Bank: The entire Test Bank is provided in Diploma format (software included), making it easy to quickly assemble exams using any combination of publisher-provided and instructor-written questions. Exams can be exported from Diploma to many different course management systems, such as Blackboard and WebCT.
Instructor’s Manual (included in the Instructor’s Resource Library)
The Mind’s Machine Instructor's Manual includes useful resources for planning your course and lectures. For each chapter of the textbook, it includes the following:
- A Chapter Overview that gives a big-picture snapshot of what is covered in the chapter
- A complete Chapter Outline
- A set of Key Concepts that break the chapter down into its core elements
- Detailed Lecture Outlines that can save time in preparing lectures
- Additional References for lecture/course development
Test Bank (included in the Instructor’s Resource Library)
The Test Bank includes a comprehensive set of exam questions for each chapter of the textbook. Multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, matching, essay, definition, and paragraph development questions cover the full range of material in each chapter. All questions are referenced to specific textbook headings and pages and to Bloom’s taxonomy categories. The Test Bank also includes all of the questions from the Companion Website online quizzes.
The Companion Website includes online quizzes (both multiple choice and essay) that can be assigned by instructors or used as self-review exercises. Quizzes can be customized with any combination of publisher-provided questions and instructor-written questions, and can be assigned individually. Results of the quizzes are stored in the online gradebook. (Instructors must register in order for their students to be able to take the quizzes.)
If you have adopted this text for course use (within the U.S. or Canada) and are interested in the instructor’s supplements that accompany the text, please contact Linda VandenDolder, firstname.lastname@example.org. Outside the U.S. or Canada? Check the orders and returns page for the distributor in your region.